Friday, April 26, 2013

My Stories

I came across this fantastic idea on write.click.scrapbook about "My Stories." Basically, the author has folder on her computer where she types up stories that are hers, memories, so that she will always have them accessible, especially for her children. And, every few months, she prints them out and puts them in a binder.

Sure, we always remember the BIG events (like weddings, births, funerals, etc.), but how about that wacky day when THIS happened ... or remember when so-and-so said THAT thing? I don't. For some reason, my memory seems to get worse and worse as I get older. Which, maybe is common? I don't know. (Maybe I need more brain exercises.) In either case, while I try to scrapbook those memories, it's really only been the last few years that I've been scrapbooking, and usually it's larger moments that I've happened to capture on digiFilm.

I thought that that'd be a great way to journal ... to write down those memories as they come. To always remember them. Recalling them can be spurred on by incidents, smells, etc.

I love what she says about this:

What I mean by "stories" are the little incidents and experiences that add flavor to your life. The chestnuts you pull out at family get-togethers or the tales of mirth you tell at parties. The inside jokes and memories and embarrassing moments that make you unique. You know: your stories.

What's funny is that in her post, she talks about an incident she had with a spider. Which reminded me of a funny story involving a spider myself ....

Many years ago, I was sitting around (my then best friend) Jennifer's dining table, with her, our friend from high school Russell, and her then-boyfriend Michael. It was night time, and we were playing a card game (I want to say it was Phase 10, but maybe it was Skip-Bo—Russell might remember). We were having a fun time until someone glanced down at the floor and saw a spider. Russell and Michael immediately got somewhat antsy. Spiders were not their friends. 

I thought it was an awfully fuzzy spider, thought it wasn't terribly big. So Jenn took off her shoe and went to kill it. And the spider exploded out into (what seemed like) hundreds of tiny spiders which went scurrying everywhere! I had never seen such a sight! But as soon as that happened, Russell and Michael jumped out of their chairs, took a few steps toward the living room and got on top of the coffee table. At the same time, Jenn rushed to under the sink to grab some bug spray—I had never seen her move so fast! She quickly sprayed all the little things dead. And me? I think I scooted my chair back and lifted my legs up. And I may have screamed some. But at least I didn't jump on the coffee table. *LOL*


I think the rest of the night everyone kept feeling like they little spiders were crawling all over them.


And that's "My Exploding Spider Story."



I want to try and do what write.click.scrapbook has done, so I can retain my memories. After all, they're unique to me. I might share them on here once in awhile. We'll see.

How about you? Do you have a good memory? Do you journal in some way to retain those memories?


3 comments:

Erika April 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM  

What I great idea! I will freely admit, however, that I'm glad I was NOT there for your exploding spider. Yech!

M May 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM  

My kids are very fond of reminding me how much I hate spiders.

Unknown December 29, 2017 at 6:25 PM  

Wouldn'tya love an endless eternity
of aplomBOMBs falling on thy
indelible cranium, inside N around2?
An XtraXcitinXpose with no
zooillogical eXpiration date?
An IQ much higher than K2?
An extraordinarily antiestablishment
victory with both sardonic,
satirical wit Who's ultra-savvy N
avant-garde-humility?

Step RITE this Way, please...

I looove to giveth unto thee ideas -
thots you never thot of:
the picturesque protagonist,
par excellence, the non-perishables,
the luxurious ditzy-glitz, generous, undiluted expansion of the bizarre.
Yes, dear, the epic endorphins -
an open door2an onomatopoeia vernacular,
a high-flying, barnstormin summersaults,
toxic firewurks from yeee-haw KS
taking YOU in a completely new direction
than where you had originally planned!!
O! the mind doth boggle, lil one!!

Q: Why else does a moth fly from the night to a bold, attractive candle Light?
A: Dont let His extravagant
brilliance be extinguished, earthling.
You're creative, yes?
Then, fly-away with U.S. to the antidote.

Original template © to Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP