My most-requested dish when going to family dinners:
Broccoli, Cheese and Rice Casserole
1 14 oz. box Minute Rice
1 16 oz. bag of frozen chopped broccoli
2 cans cream of mushroom, or chicken soup (or one of each, or some other cream of soup)
1 16 oz. jar of Cheez Whiz
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Grease large casserole dish with cooking spray (or butter).
3. Cook rice according to directions on box (add butter and salt to taste).
4. Cook broccoli according to directions on package; make sure and drain after cooking.
5. In a large bowl (or pot used to cook rice), combine cooked rice and broccoli.
6. Stir in the 2 cans of soup.
7. Heat up Cheez Whiz according to directions and add to rice/broccoli, stirring well to combine.
8. Pour into greased casserole dish and top with cheddar cheese.
9. Bake for about 30 minutes until cheese is nice and melted.
Variation: Add cut up, cooked chicken to make it a complete meal. You could also try adding mushrooms. Or also try a combination of white rice with wild rice.
This dish can be quite healthy, as long as you choose low-sodium or fat free condensed soups, and you could go with a lower-fat content cheese, but, be warned, it won't look as pretty coming out of the oven. It's also a great vegetarian dish (if you don't go with the cream of chicken soup, and, of course, don't add chicken).
I plan on putting recipes up here every once in awhile, to share. I just tried a new one last night, a garlic and citrus roasted chicken, but I think I need to tweak just a few things before sharing it. But, don't fret, I have many more tried and true recipes. ^_^ I like things to be simple and have as few ingredients as possible (unless it sounds so delicious I have to try it either way). Do you have any recipes to share? I'll try most things once!